How To Place A Wager
Once you have decided which horse(s) you want to bet on, place your bet at the betting window. Keep in mind that some windows only accept high dollar wagers so make sure to double check the sign to ensure that you are in the correct line.
Select the racetrack where you would like to place your wager. Most racetracks are connected to each other and you can place a wager for a different race at a different racetrack, making this a critical step. For example, if you wish to place a wager on a race at Keeneland Racecourse, you will simply state, “Keeneland” or “Keeneland Racecourse.”
- State the number of the race. This number is the largest number found on the outside edge of your race program
- Select the dollar amount you wish to wager.
- Choose the type of wager you would like to place. For example, you might select win or exacta.
- State the number of the horse(s) you have selected.
- Always check your ticket before walking away from the window since no refunds or payouts will be issued if there is an error. Make sure to have your ticket before the horses break from the gate in the race you are wagering on.
“Keeneland, race four, $2 across the board on the six horse”, would be an appropriate statement for a single-race, single-horse ticket.
“Delmar, race one, $2 exacta box on horses one and nine”, would be an appropriate statement for a single-race, multi-horse ticket.
“Saratoga, races six and seven, $2 Daily Double on horses eleven and two”, would be an appropriate statement for a multi-race, multi-horse ticket.